Deacon Luis P. Villanueva was ordained on May 31, 2008 at St. Rose of Lima Church, of the Archdiocese of San Antonio at 60 years of age after five years of formation. He is celebrating his 11th anniversary of serving our Lord, our parish of St. Joseph, the community of Devine and surrounding area.
Currently Deacon Luis assists priests with the celebration of weekday Masses on Wednesday and Friday, every Saturday Spanish Mass and Sunday Masses at St. Joseph in Devine, St. Augustine in Moore and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Big Foot. He also serves in celebrating Communion Services as needed on weekdays and “Sunday Celebration in the absence of a Priest" for weekend Mass when needed. Preaching at every Wednesday and Friday Masses in Devine. He also can be seen preaching on second weekend Mass of every month at St. Joseph Church in Devine, St. Augustine in Moore and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Big Foot and at other times when needed. Deacon Luis can be called upon to assist with funeral Masses in serving at vigil services, funeral rosaries and gravesites services. He can also administer the Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Matrimony and can assist with celebrations of Quinceaneras with Communion Service. He serves the St Joseph parishioners in visiting the sick at home, hospitals and nursing homes as well as ministering to the incarcerated and serves in Pastoral counseling and teaching our faith to those in need.
Deacon Luis graduated from the University of Houston College of Pharmacy on May 31, 1970, owned and operated two pharmacies for twenty years, managed several pharmacies, independents and chain store pharmacies for twenty years and currently is currently a full-time employee of Wal-Mart Pharmacy in Devine. He will celebrate forty-eight years of serving the communities in South Texas as a pharmacist.
He is married to Vina and father of two children and foster parents, along with Vina, of five nephews and nieces. He enjoys fishing, reading, real estate, traveling, serving our community and spending time with his family,
His services to the Parish and Community over the past 40 years include:
· Past member of Parish Pastoral Council, Financial Counsel, Building and Cemetery Committee
· Past leader of our parish prayer group for ten years.
· Assisted in healing Masses for six years.
· Past chairperson and organizer of our church festivals for several years.
· Past Grand Knight and currently Fourth Degree Knight of Columbus.
· Past member and officer of Devine Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, and Little League
· Past co-founder and leader of the Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner for the past ten years
· Past member of the Guadalupana Society
· Past leader and organizer of several years of Deaconpilgrimage tours to Europe and Mexico
St. Joseph Catholic Church
Copyright © 2022 St. Joseph Catholic Church - All Rights Reserved.